Thursday, April 26, 2007

We go to Hiroshima

Our visit to Hiroshima was better than we hoped. The kids were very interested in the history of the A bomb explosion and the reasons given for it's use and the results. We went to the A bomb museum and placed the paper cranes near the monument to Sadako. We wrote a resolution for world peace and placed it with the paper cranes. Because we are using other people's computers we are unable to add pictures at this time. I will either do it if we hit an internet cafe and can use the wireless connection there or add them when we get home.

The next day we took the ferry to Miyajima island and visited some shrines and other ancient buildings. The also was our first shopping experience. You lucky families- you won't be dissappointed! Part of the group also took a hike on the mountain in the middle of the island. All are still healthy and we haven't lost anyone.

4 comments:

Marti said...

It is so great to hear from you! It sounds like the kids are having a terrific experience. I stood on the shore of the Pacific Ocean on Sunday but I couldn't hear you. Please tell Zelley that I didn't yell because there were too many people around.

Ken said...

It sounds like you're having a great time. I never got to Miyajima, so I'm jealous. It's supposed to be beautiful.

I found being in Hiroshima a moving and somewhat difficult experience. But the residents of Hiroshima are completely welcoming, and seem to take their designation as the Peace City seriously. I shared my feelings of unease with a Japanese friend, and he said, "You've got Hiroshima and we've got Pearl Harbor. Get over it."

May your rice bowl always be full. (That's a Chinese saying, not Japanese, but if the rice sticks...)

lisa said...

I want to be a Folkid!! It sounds like a fantastic trip, I expect to be hearing about it for a very long time. Happy to hear all is well, hope the next week is as good as the first. Think of you guys everyday. Please Send Birthday wishes from home to Miranda. Thanks!

Heather said...

(Miranda's Sister) Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to Miranda Panda. Happy Birthday to you. Sorry I didn't write sooner but daddy just gave me the website. It sounds like you are having fun. I can't wait to see you when you get back.